In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Guinea Fowl Madness

My next door neighbor has three guineas. My brother-in-law down the road has five. They meet most mornings in the front yard, and forage for a few hours. After their morning meeting, the three will return home next door, and the five will work their way down the road....until this morning.

My brother-in-law acquired nine more adult guineas, penned them to acclimate them to their new surroundings, and his five are spending their time with the new arrivals. It's probably a guinea social thing, except the three next door are upset. They are calling to their friends, who are ignoring their plea, and the call that sounds like a wheel bearing failing is constant.

I don't know how long this will last, but I'm forcing myself to ignore what is becoming increasingly annoying. Hopefully, the day brings the five down the road for a visit, and the three next door will shut up.

7 comments:

  1. A Labrador Retriever might be a solution...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guineas are too shrewd to allow dogs to attack. When they feel threatened, they fly into a tree and the chorus starts.

      Delete
  2. My father-in-law always wanted some of those. Never got 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great "watchdogs". Unusual circumstances, or an attempted attack by a dog, leads to a raucous few minutes. I've heard they eat fleas, although I don't think it's possible to determine whether it's true, or not.

      Delete
  3. The sound of a wheel bearing failing is disconcerting on a visceral level to the mechanically aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those at my end of the neighborhood quieted in a few hours. Those down the road, since they are not used to each other, spend hours on end announcing their displeasure. I feel sorry for my sister-in-law.

      Delete