In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, March 31, 2024

I Don't Think It Will Take Very Long

 I've been reading articles with people speculating on how long it will take to clear the collapsed bridge in Baltimore. My timeline? The channel will be open by the middle of April, and the bridge will be completed within four years. Regardless of investigations, conjecture and other distractions, speculating on long periods of time is unrealistic. Modern bridge building methods are fast, and if I had to guess, the basic design was planned years ago, someone is already bidding on the main support girders, and with all the standard designs already in place, many large contractors already have most of the bid items already loaded into a bidding software program.

5 comments:

  1. Um...close but no cigar. The contractors will have to meet exceedingly strict union and affirmative action guidelines plus DEI quotas. Your thinking is perhaps 10 years behind the times. Guess again, closer to 10 years as minority owned companies will challenge every award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect the debris will be cleared pretty quick because there is a lot of important equipment in the harbor that may be needed...like military RoRo ships. But once the channel is open I expect graft, corruption, and incompetence to make the replacement construction very time consuming, expensive and scary. I personally wouldn't want to drive over whatever bridge they build as it will almost certainly be a DEI designed and constructed disaster in waiting. Just like the pedestrian bridge in Miami a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, what they said. but anybody remember the bridge in florida between some islands that got knocked down by a hurricane? desantis had it back up and running in a few weeks. so possible yes but likely no for baltimore, the other sodom on the potomac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time will tell, but regardless of the port being open, accessibility of trucking will demand either a faster solution, or a change in shipping routes. If Baltimore drags its feet, the city will swirl further into the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, it won't be anytime soon:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/05/congress-ev-chargers-billions-00129996

    ReplyDelete