In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, August 23, 2024

Dog Days

I was curious about the term "dog days", so I looked it up. It's from the time of the Roman Empire, and was somewhere around the period of July 3 to August 11, which are the generally the hottest days of the year. That's when the star Sirius in the constellation Canis Major (big dog) would appear near sunrise. That was true back then, but due to the wobble of the Earth (precession) Sirius rises later in the year. This wobble, which is a 26,000 year cycle changes the time constellations rise, the stars that can be considered the north star, and pretty well destroys the wizardry of astrology. That, and destroys my original conception of how the dog days of summer were when dogs did as little as possible, laid under the porch, and waited for the cool of the evening to ease the brutal heat.

10 comments:

  1. I'm ready for them to be over. Too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have about a month of hot weather left. Usually, that means lows in the seventies, and highs in the low nineties. With shorter days, the evening are more pleasant, and the mornings stay cool longer. It's the start of the change, and by the end of September, we usually are rewarded with the first "real" cold front of the season.

      Of course, I'm not telling you anything you didn't discover when you lived in the Houston area. I'm sure you don't miss that part of the area.

      Delete
  2. Dogs are sometimes smarter than we.
    Retired now, I follow their lead.
    (Not under the porch though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Now, I don't hesitate to avoid the heat, take it easy, when it's hot, and nap when I feel like it.

      Delete
  3. Personally, I'm with the dogs! And I could care less about the stars, now that I no longer have to navigate by them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think dogs paid attention to the night skies, until my dog woke me one night barking. I couldn't figure out why she was barking, until I watched her for a few moments. She was barking at the moon just appearing above the trees.

      Delete
  4. I miss our dog named Pacino. 😢

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got her on a dog day afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The saddest part of having a dog is watching them age too fast, and leaving with nothing but memories left.

      Delete