In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, September 20, 2024

I Can Only Blame Myself

 The best intentions are easily forgotten, and my intention to use the pressure washer yesterday led to some time in the heat I didn't envision. 

Before I added gas to the pressure washer, I checked the state of the gasoline. I knew it had been awhile since it was used, and couldn't remember if fuel conditioner was added in the past. After smelling the familiar odor of old gas, decided I needed to drain the tank and carburetor bowl. It didn't take long, so I hooked it up, made sure the pump had water, set the choke, pulled the pull rope and was rewarded with the engine running one second. I pulled some more with the choke off, tried it with the choke on again, and it wouldn't start. 

I let it sit for a few minutes, took a break to rest my arm, set the choke, pulled the rope, and it started again...for one second. Pulling the rope again, and again, was a useless endeavor, so I resigned myself to the task of delving deeper into the problem. 

I knew it was getting fire, since it ran for a few seconds. That left only the carburetor, and I didn't relish the task of removing it, but without any other recourse, did so, which led to the usual fighting with throttle linkage, and hoses. That, and the careful examination of disassembly to guarantee replacement didn't end up with extra parts. 

The bowl was full of varnish, which verified there was probably more deeper in the carburetor. So, I removed the float, which revealed an accumulation of crud, and the realization I didn't have any carburetor cleaner. A trip to the parts house was necessary, and I was soon ready to finish my cleaning. 

I removed the main jet, cleaned the small passages with a small wire, sprayed carburetor cleaner through the ports, and was rewarded with all being open, instead of being sealed, and possibly, not being able to be opened. Reassembly was a short task, and it wasn't long before I had the pressure washer back together. A short pull after choking showed I was successful. 

In the end, it was all good. I accomplished the washing I intended, and I know the washer will now be stored with fuel stabilizer. The only problem was the cool of the morning I anticipated for cleaning was lost to repairing the washer. That rewarded me with doing the power washing in the sun and the temperature at 95 degrees. I live, and I learn. How that relates to a learning curve is unknown, but I have a feeling it might be described as steep.

No comments:

Post a Comment