In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Peanut Hoarders and Thieves

 We usually have  at least one pair of red belly woodpeckers every year. They rob the feeder for food, fly away, and over time, they will bring their hatchlings to the feeder for food. Eventually, they chase the young ones away, and the cycle starts again next year. 

We had an occasional redheaded woodpecker last year. The eventually brought their two youngsters for food, chased them away when they were ready, and they disappeared. 

About a month ago, a redheaded woodpecker decided the feeder was in his territory and would chase away the other woodpeckers. As we watched, we realized he would take peanuts, go to the power pole, and push them into crevasses in the wood. The amount was amazing, and if I had to guess, there were over two dozen to be seen. 

The day before yesterday, when the redheaded woodpecker was away, the red belly male robbed his peanuts from the pole. He succeeded in taking them all during the day, and the redheaded woodpecker could only chase it away, when he discovered the trespasser in its territory. 

Yesterday, the redheaded woodpecker started its hoarding again. There aren't any peanuts to be seen in the crevasses this morning, although I watched it place them during the day. I have the feeling the effort is fruitless, and it's labor will be in vain.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Wal-Mart after the inflation picks up speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Instead of peanuts, it will be Play Stations and big screen televisions.

      Delete