In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, June 25, 2023

As We Sizzle

 According to the weather folks, we're in for some blistering heat. Temperatures are supposed to exceed 100 F (they were yesterday) and the high humidity will lead to heat indexes above 114 F. 

Everything to be done outside needs to be done before 11:00 am. Even at 8:00am, the temperature is above 80 and at that time, the heat index is already pushing 100.

It does get cooler toward sunset, but there is only a narrow window of about 2 hours. We've had enough rain to last for awhile, but the coming week will deplete the reserve, and everything will be stressed. It's watering time, and I'll have to keep a close eye on the cucumbers.

6 comments:

  1. The summer heat is starting up here in Georgia as well. I have installed some shade cloth over part of my garden and will probably need to cover some more areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our gardens here have pretty well produced much of what they can. Usually, by July, they're done. The cucumbers were an afterthought, and the jury is still out on whether they'll produce much.

      Delete
  2. I don't miss the heat of the Gulf, at all. Even 90F can be horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 82 at 8:00 this morning, and the humidity was 90%. Even early it's miserable, and just being outside causes profuse sweating.

      Delete
  3. Raised in Greenwood, I woke to see my old stomping grounds made National news this morn.
    One dead. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother died due to heat. I've been close to passing out from heat, and it's not a good feeling. The first thought I had was wondering if I could reach my pickup, which was not that far away.

      Delete