In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, August 24, 2023

A Little Relief

 Since July 31, we haven't seen any rain, or had a threat of some relief from the heat. Triple digit highs were reached every afternoon, and the drought was starting to take trees. Fires were breaking out in some spots and one today north of us called for an evacuation. Pictures show a big enough fire to wipe out structures, and I'm hoping nobody lost their life. 

I took a nap this afternoon, and woke to rain hitting the window. I went to the porch and was rewarded with a cool, damp breeze and the large drops of a building thunderstorm. It didn't last long, but it did settle the dust. Another followed about an hour later, and I can even now see a trace of rain in the rain gauge. 

So, the weather folks are forecasting the persistent high pressure dome to start breaking down, the return of rain chances, and the warning to watch the Gulf of Mexico. Models show anything developing will probably go east of us, and give those people that don't need rain some more rain. It is what it is, and my forecast is we'll soon get a front to chance the dynamics of the weather. We need it, and the cooler temperatures will be appreciated. 

4 comments:

  1. I was outside and felt the first cool breeze in a week. A good sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not far from when the late evening will bring cooler air from the local woods. Night will fall, temperatures will drop into the upper sixties, and the heat will be broken.

      Delete
  2. We got some good rain Tuesday here in Seguin.
    Due to the heat (and f*cking grasshoppers) I think I'm going to lose almost all of my new apple trees and half of my plum trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece planted some trees earlier in the summer, and they're not looking like they'll survive.

      I passed through Sequin earlier in the summer and it looked like drought was already taking hold. Off toward Boerne, there was no doubt drought was in full force.

      Delete