In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, August 6, 2023

So Now We Grieve

I've lost all my brothers. Grieving is a personal thing, but if somebody hasn't experienced the loss of a sibling, there are no words that describe the grief. 

My wife's sister passed away this evening. She couldn't breathe, 911 was called, and they responded in minutes. As they sat in the driveway giving her oxygen, making sure she was stabilized, she went into cardiac arrests. They got a pulse, but it was weak, and they had to stop on the way to the hospital for CPR again. My wife, and I, were waiting for some news, which wasn't good. She didn't make it, and the long, agonizing moments of "wondering what everyone could do that would have helped" started. It's natural. There's always that feeling you could have done more, spent more time with them, helped them at a certain time, recognized a problem before it happened.....the list goes on. 

So, the grief now starts. No words help. No soul searching finds an answer. They're gone, and regardless of how many years pass, time stands still, and memories only allow moments on the path to closure. 

God rest her soul, and God give the family peace. 

14 comments:

  1. My condolences to you and your wife, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences to you guys also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry, Jess...Prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the only one left in my immediate family. I lost my three brothers and my sister over a few years apart. The two older brothers I could give a shit about, but my sister and my younger brother was/is though. Especially my younger brother who died on my birthday. I think he planned it that way. 😊 Anyways, you are right, there are no words that really help. So I’ll just say I’m sorry for your loss and hang tough… as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. There were four sisters, and each had a corner of the foundation of the family. One corner is gone, and the foundation changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss. The same thing happened to my mom. She had trouble breathing, 911 was called. As they started to wheel her out, her heart stopped. CPR got her back and off to the ER. In the ER her heart stopped three more times, needing CPR each time. She was actually pronounced dead the last time before a nurse found a weak pulse. Two weeks in the ICU and she is currently in the heart wing. She'll be going to rehab in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An autopsy will be performed. What happened is only a guess at this time, but she was adamant about not allowing doctors to performing tests. She'd been showing signs of failing health for about a week, but wouldn't pursue the testing needed to determine what was happening.

      Delete
  7. My prayers are with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And as we age this naturally happens more often.
    Grieve. And heal.
    God Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sympathies to you and your wife, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all. The funeral is today, Saturday August 12. It's time, and life needs to go on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sincerest condolences Jess.

    Irish

    ReplyDelete