In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, April 12, 2024

Lawnmower Observation

I've owned, and operated, lawnmowers for decades. During that time, I've worked on many of them, and the repairs included just about everything, including rebuilding an engine. Over time, I've noticed the newer engines last longer than the older engines. Whether it's because they're built better, or the newer oils are much better, is something I don't know, but in the past, the engines would usually present problems long before the decks did. 

These days, the decks on riders just don't seem to last that long; especially if they're stamped. Replacing them seems like a good idea, until you realize the cost will probably be over a thousand dollars after you buy the accessories that need changing too, and you perform your own labor. Depending on the model, that can be at that magical point where it's so close to half the price of a new one, replacing it is a better option. 

I gave a way a fine mower a few years ago. I'd changed the deck once, but the new deck only lasted three years. Changing the deck was still an option, but the mower was old, and I foresaw other things going out, with the knowledge the stamped deck would become a problem. Still, it was frustrating, and only showed that to get long years out of a deck, paying for the most expensive riders, with a heavy welded deck, was the best option. Still, they don't last forever, but if you have a welding machine, building a new one is always an option. Well maintained, the engine will last a long, long time, and replacing belts, or pulleys is usually an easy task. 

8 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. The plastic discharge shoot on my Z-turn Cub Cadet wore out on less than 1.5 seasons of mowing my 2-acres of sandy FL paradise. A couple of months ago, had the brilliant idea of buying a new chute online and giving it about 8 or 9 coats of spray-on bedliner before installing it... only to find out AFTER treating it that the assholes had sent me the "slightly-wrong" part number.

    Pissed off and needing to mow the property before guests arrived, I grabbed a piece of leftover scrap hardwood flooring, marked the holes and slapped it on using wire ties. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About two years ago, my niece was mowing, her mower started making a tremendous amount of noise, and the blade stopped. Inspection revealed she had hit something, the steel deflector welded to the deck for directing the air flow broke loose, and had jammed the blade. I ended up using a grinder to cut enough to allow the blade to spin. That was that mower's last season.

      Delete
  2. I miss my old solid steel Snapper! Three engines, but the rest of the mower was fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a Snapper, rebuilt the original engine, replaced the engine, and finally gave it away, when the lure of a new mower overruled my logic. I should have kept it.
      The best thing about it was the simple, dependable drive system, the single heavy blade, and short steering radius. It didn't have the fifty plus inches blade cut, or zero turn, but with a little adjustment of the speed, would cut like a brush hog.

      Delete
  3. Got a mower, I think it's Bad Dog, that has plate steel deck, quarter inch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best. Welded 1/4 inch plate lasts a long time, but lasts longer if the underside is roughed with sandpaper and bed liner is applied before the first use.

      Delete
  4. I'm still using my Toro recycler from the late 80s. Cast aluminum deck, oil changed every season and air filter replaced every second season and the blade sharpened also every second season. It still starts on one or two pulls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aluminum lasts a long time. With modern oils, and regular service, I can see where a mower can be a one time purchase.

      Delete