Since my hernia surgery is impending, I've spent some time examining the procedures, my surgeon's qualifications, and found robotics will be used for my surgery. It's a laparoscopic procedure, but instead of the surgeon manipulating instruments manually, they use 3D imaging, and robotic instruments are manipulated as the surgeon operates at a console. It's like the robotic deep sea ROV's without the currents, curious fish, and the possibility of a large wave influencing the operation. I'm hoping my surgeon has a good night's sleep before the procedure, and nobody creeps up behind him and pops a balloon while he's working.
In Case You've Wondered
My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.
If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com
One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.
I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.
jescordwaineratgmail.com
Hopefully, the 'scar' will be smaller than my 6 inch one! And agreed on him/her getting a good night's sleep!!!
ReplyDeleteFrom what I know, hernia surgery has advanced to where the long incisions aren't necessary, except for special conditions. Mine, according to the surgeon, will be outpatient, and I'll go home after the anesthetic wears off.
DeleteI had mine repaired in 94 the old school way and got a long scar of of the deal. I went in before sunrise and had an omelet for lunch at IHOP. My friend had his done in 98 or 99 and they did the laproscopic surgery. He did not tell them that he worked nights. So he didn't wake up afterwards. Just kept right on sleeping... Gave the recovery team a hell of a scare! You should be fine, and yes you'll want a pillow between your thighs when you sleep. Your junk is gonna show some amazingly different colors.
DeleteI had this surgery in early March on my right side. My left inguinal hernia was done the old fashioned way about 25 years ago. This was done as an outpatient at a local hospital. They knocked me completely out, which meant they had to intubate me. They also put a catheter up my urethra and into my bladder so as to keep my bladder empty.
ReplyDeleteThe big incision was through my belly button and it was quite stretched looking. Then there were 2 small incisions along my belt line. No complaints about the surgery or my healing process. I made sure that I got up and moved around, even on the day of my surgery.
There was more swelling and bruising that I thought possible, especially down into my genitalia. Ice was my friend. For a while I walked like I had a long hard day on a saddle and sitting on the toilet was a struggle due to the swelling. Was pretty constipated from the first day of meds and anesthesia.
6 weeks of not much more than walking around. The first few days I slept in a recliner. Used a pillow between my knees when I first moved back into a flat bed. Everything is back to normal now. Once in a while I can feel scar tissue pull, but nothing to complain about.
Good luck and follow your doctors instructions.
Thanks for the information. One of the after surgery instructions is ice packs on my groin for the first 48 hours. Now I understand why.
DeleteRobots. Good grief. I am old...and outpatient??
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything, Jess.
I'm amazed. I'm thinking it will be like my gall bladder surgery. The horror stories of the old procedures didn't match my experience with laparoscopic surgery. Hopefully, this surgery will lead to a mostly uneventful recovery.
DeleteNice!
ReplyDeleteIt's a stepping stone to the future, when surgery will be completely by robotic devices, and the surgeons will take naps while it's completed.
Delete