In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, August 17, 2012

A Minor Pet Peeve...

...but it still bugs me.

In many places, you can find surveying monuments, which are used for controls on a project site. The best are set in concrete and made of brass. These usually are undisturbed, because they look important, until somebody knocks down a stake, or permanent post and the damn thing is covered up or disturbed.

Some are nothing more than a paint mark in the middle of a manhole cover, or a wood stake driven in the ground with a nail stuck in the top. There may be a lathe adjacent to the point with flagging and writing.  These are temporary, but if I'm using one, and it's damaged or disturbed, it's useless and I have to either try to work off other close points or traverse a large area and recover the point for use.

Still, it bugs the crap out of me that people are inconsiderate and don't realize somebody sweated their butt off to place the point. Somebody did, so watch what you're doing and leave them alone.

2 comments:

  1. Proverbs 22:28
    Remove not the ancient landmark, Which thy fathers have set.

    Deuteronomy 19:14
    Thou shalt not remove thy neighbor's landmark, which they of old time have set, in thine inheritance which thou shalt inherit, in the land that Jehovah thy God giveth thee to possess it.

    Deuteronomy 27:17
    Cursed be he that removeth his neighbor's landmark. And all the people shall say, Amen.

    Job 24:2
    Some remove the landmarks; They seize and devour flocks.

    ReplyDelete

  2. What's amazing is the age of this problem. I guess people never learn.

    ReplyDelete