In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, August 28, 2014

So, The Visit is Over

I went to the dermatologist today. He had a look, used his freezing apparatus freely and froze over 15 precancerous spots on my face and ears. The first one wasn't bad, but around the first 5, I really didn't want any more; and the doctor continued counting for his nurse, as he placed liquid nitrogen on the areas he was treating. The nurse said my face should return to normal in a day or two....What? Will I need to hunch over like Quasimodo, scare the people in the elevator, and make the ghost of Charles Laughton proud?

The reason for my visit, which was a lesion on my face, that came and went, concerned him enough to perform a biopsy. When he started, it didn't hurt, although the nurse was expecting it to. With worried apprehension, she warned of a little pain and then asked if it was hurting. I didn't say anything, because a certain sphincter was ready to slam shut. (The last time I was warned of pain was when a dentist finally reached the underlying nerve during a root canal. That was a lifetime of pain that lasted a few moments.) The doctor placed a stitch and put away his cookie cutter. No pain, but it aches a little this evening.

So; now the results will be known in ten days. I don't look like Quasimodo, but it does look like I might have tangled with a few wasps....and they won. My only problem now will be finding someone to remove the stitch. I think it will require drawing straws, because I've already had two volunteers.

My face and ears have taken the brunt of punishment from the sun. Everything else looks fine, except for barnacles. I looked up the term. You can too. I can't even spell what they are and I has them.

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that your visit to the Dr. went well, and good thoughts for the biopsy results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the doctor if the area was deep. He said no, which is good. Even if it's malignant, surgery can remove it all and the prognosis is usually good.

      Delete
    2. That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I tend to worry a bit about my blogging friends and I feel better now!

      Delete
    3. Thank you. It's good to know people don't just think of you as a jumble of words on a web page.

      Delete
  2. Barnacles... Isn't that where farm animals produce sperm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must call tomorrow for a dermatologist appointment. I have two places on my nose that stay red or scaly. Besides, the growth the last dermatologist took off half a growth even when I told her she did not get it all. NOW, the growth is in a ring...horrible looking! She took off the growth on my back EXCEPT the one that is rubbed by a bra and the one that is under the elastic in my panty waistband. Since I was stark naked, I am not sure how she missed them. So, I am off to a different derm.

    I have come to the point in life that I will no longer go to a doctor that does NOT do his or her job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only wish you the best of results from your visit.

      It's the waiting that's the worse; both before and after the visit. That and having liquid nitrogen placed on your skin. That stuff burns and it doesn't take much to be enough.

      Delete
  4. It's good to get that taken care of. I waited too long on one spot years back and ended up with a divot out of my chest just above the left breast. It looks like a bite. Makes for some interesting conversation in a low cut dress ( usually just say "short Jewish Ninja with overbite).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm hoping the biopsy show no malignancy. If they have to remove a large section of flesh, I'll have a wound that will be hard to care for and a scar that will look like I was shot in the face.

      Delete