In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Newsreaders

The news cycle is never ending. What once waited for the morning paper, or the evening broadcast, is a constant barrage of inane conjecture, with commercials, and public service announcements paid for by tax dollars. Journalists promote their agenda, the senior management promotes what tickles their fancy, and the public becomes increasingly bored, or jaded.

Social media was the great hope for fact presentation, but it too is guided by opinion, if not outright lies. To make things worse, people don't realize they're being manipulated. Sifting for facts is too much work, or requires understanding the processes that make a society healthy. Neither is arrived at instantly, so rumor becomes news, and news becomes suspect.

I don't know any journalists personally, but think there are many horrified by the public perception of their craft. I like to think there is a goal of excellence, but that goal is being replaced by the glitter of professional news reading. Those with integrity are being forced out by those enamored with power, or an unwillingness to admit ignorance. 

None of this is new. The libelous efforts of journalists are peppered through the history of the nation. What is new is either an avoidance, or refusal to accept the increase of news doesn't also mean the increase of crappy journalism.  Bucking the system, or the powerful, takes a gumption most journalists don't have The result is a constant onslaught of filling spaces with whatever comes along by those with the whitest teeth, the best stage presence, and a willingness to forget any moral lessons taught in their upbringing.


6 comments:

  1. I had a cousin, who was spokesperson for the company my dad worked for. He know who she was as far as family. He called her the paid company lair. I just laughed at that comment. Most reporters are just that now days paid lairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're paid to lie, and have no compulsion to research the crap they peddle.

      Delete
  2. It's almost like they're using Huxley and Orwell as manuals . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was me in the comment above. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think they read about both in school, realized their peril, and avoided such nonsense.

      Delete
  4. Your mention of government PSAs reminded me of the very conservative station i listen to (and broadcast on).
    In the middle of a conservative rant, I'll hear a commercial break and the station will play a PSA for Obamacare or some such.
    Gotta sell advertising (even to the feds) to pay the bills (as well I know with my paper).

    ReplyDelete