In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, July 31, 2023

The Frogs Will Sing

We've been under a high pressure system for weeks. Temperatures steadily rose, and the last two days yielded highs around 105F. Humidity was low, so nights were in the mid seventies. Forecaster called for more of the same all week, but one NOAA forecaster had a little note about the possibility of a Mesoscale complex in the evening. They didn't give a high chance, but there was a chance. 

I watched the radar over the evening, and the complex formed, but was moving slowly. One forecast showed it making it close, but dying out before it reached my area. It was wrong, and although much of system lost most of the punch, we received some cooling temperatures with rain. I won't know how much until morning, but it probably won't be much, except the amount required for the frogs to sing. I'll take it, make a cup of coffee, go on the porch, and wait for the choirs to start. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We ended up with around 1/4 inch of rain. The majority of it was gone by morning and you couldn't tell it rained by noon.

      Delete
  2. As a person whose life depended on a correct weather prognostication, I used to think meteorologists were the highest paid people in the world that made mistakes as often as they did.
    (Not really fair because their predictions out to about 12 hours were actually pretty good.)
    Beyond that? A dartboard was as accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even weather maps are now far from the original format. Instead of what was the correct method, the hodge-podge of smiley faces and other graphics don't show pressure gradients, the broken symbol of an upper level low, and lump all cloud cover descriptions as "partly cloudy".

      Delete