In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, September 20, 2026

As Though This Just Started Happening

 Tamales are harder to find at many Mexican restaurants.  I've noticed that for a long time. I'm guessing without the cheap labor that was sent home, the cost, and effort, to mass produce tamales isn't something the restaurants want to absorb with the increasing cost of restaurant labor. It's a shame, but in Texas, there are locals that sell tamales by the dozen, and that's all they offer. They're not inexpensive (but what isn't these days?), but to those that know tamales, the cost for the good tamales is worth it. A half dozen, covered with cheese, salsa roja, and some finely chopped onions is what I consider a delicacy. 

7 comments:

  1. Amen, and drug deal Tamales are the best!!! Out of the back of a disreputable pickup in an abandoned gas station for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in an industrial facility where an operator's wife arrived every Wednesday before noon. with a large ice chest full of tamales. At that time, a dozen was $6 and a half was $3. Best I ever ate, and when he retired, a good lunch disappeared forever.

      Delete
  2. Name something that isn't expensive and costly to produce these days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have nothing. Inflation destroys what it supposedly helps, and those that profit from it have a bonanza in income.

      Delete
  3. As much as I love Mexican food, I've never had a tamale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex mother-in-law (Cajun, but a fantastic cook) made them every once in a while. The recipe was simple, but making the Masa, stuffing, and rolling the masa with the cooked filling into the tamale, then steaming the tamales was labor intensive. I called it a labor of love, and hers were some of the best I ever ate. They're tasty without the sauce, and cheese. A half-dozen makes a great, simple, and what used to be simple, inexpensive meal.

      Delete