In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Watching the Birds

It's a banner Spring morning. The temperature is in the upper sixties, the azure sky is tarnished by a few wispy cirrus, and the quiet is only shattered by the occasional bird song or call.

The starlings have appeared. The bluebirds, and purple martins, are not happy about their appearance. They chase them away, when they get to close to their nests. Both are probably far along with raising their young, and don't welcome the intrusion.

The ducks have changed their behavior. The four Mallard drakes were constantly with the pair of Pekings, but now roam separately. They can fly, which makes me wonder if they'll leave. The two Muscovy hens are still usually together, but will spend times alone as they constantly hunt for more morsels to eat.

We have woodpeckers. A mated pair of red belly woodpeckers are frequent visitors to the bird feeder. They'll do this, until their young are on their own. Eventually, when the young start becoming a threat to their parents territory, they'll chase them away to start their own life. The parents will return to their foraging, and avoid the feeder until next year.

I'll occasionally see a pileated woodpecker fly over. I think they like the heavier woods, as do the red-headed woodpeckers.

A murder of three crows are always present. They'll sneak to the feeder, but not when anyone is present. They usually stay within sight during the day, as they look for opportunities, and steal the eggs of other birds.

The brown headed cow birds are a constant drain on the feeder. The school is small, but they're voracious eaters. I don't care for them, and will chase them away from the feeder. They're like the squirrels; nuisances that I'd rather go elsewhere.

The red-tailed hawks have moved on. There is a cooper's hawk that seems to have settled on a territory here. I've only seen the bald eagles fly over at a distance. I'm guessing they have a nest locally, but it's not close.

We have more. Blue Jays, chipping sparrows, pine buntings (they've moved on for the season), vultures, snipe, kildeers (their eggs don't last a week in their ground nests) mourning doves, Inca doves, great herons, green herons, hummingbirds, and some that don't light long enough for me to identify.

The birds are like a fish tank for me. I can spend long periods of time just watching them, and the peace it offers takes away the edge of dealing with the modern world. It's my catharsis.

So, this morning offered some good moments; just like the cinnamon rolls I can smell are about ready. They'll be a tasty treat with the fried bacon. Life is good, and this morning proves it is.

2 comments:

  1. Life IS good and getting better. I liked the fish tank reference. I used to have a 30-gallon tank of fresh water. Not big enough to hold very many fish but large enough for a sampling of color and variety. Besides, there was ample turn over requiring a trip or two each month to Dottys Pet store. Sounds like you have a veritable cornucopia of bird varieties to entertain. and the best part is that you don't have to clean their cages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never quite understood my father's fascination for birds, until I started watching them.

      Wild birds, unlike the parrots my ex-wife retained, never need their cage cleaned, or require me to fill their water bowl daily.

      During my younger years, I had many aquariums, including salt water. They are way too much work for my lazy older butt, and having more is not in my plans.

      Delete