In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Homesteaders

Two of my neighbors are at odds with each other. I won't go into the details, but it involves dogs and commercial small animals, including chickens and rabbits. The "war" escalated, but it seems a peace is being worked out. Unfortunately, there were casualties.

About three weeks ago, I noticed a hen wandering in the yard against the neighbor's fence. Closer inspection revealed a friar tuck appearance to her tail. The feathers were gone, and only skin was exposed. According to witnesses, one of the spatting neighbor's group of younger dogs decimated a group of chickens, and the hen in the yard was one of the wounded. 

Over the next few days, she wandered closer, eventually found food under the bird feeder, and I found her one morning roosting on our porch. That wasn't acceptable, so when she ventured up late the next evening, I chased her off, and she went under the porch. 

A few days later, a rooster appeared with similar injuries, except only the tail feathers were gone, and no skin was exposed. He looked young, and after observing him for days, I think my assessment of his age was correct. He didn't crow, although that might have been a result of the trauma. 

The two have decided their home is under our porch. They forage with the wild birds, and a handful of feed on the ground will guarantee they have something to eat. The rooster started crowing, and the gravely crow is gaining strength as he practices. 

So, now the chickens my wife wanted have arrived. We had originally planned to build a small coop, but nixed the idea after she really thought about it. I foresee some future problems, since chickens - like all birds - poop wherever the urge arrives. That, and I'm wondering if the hen is laying the eggs snakes find so delicious under the porch. We'll see, but like all other chapters in my life, I can't jump to the end to find out what happened. 

10 comments:

  1. why don't you just take them back to the original owner? if they continue to roost there the smell will become an issue. and the roo will start crowing at 3 a.m. on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, but that's the adjoining property, and they would just return. I could bring them to somewhere else, but until my wife, or I, decide that's the best decision, they have a place to stay. I might even build, or buy, them a small coop for harvesting eggs.

      Delete
  2. If you end up with lots of chicks, does that make the hen a mathemachicken?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best decision would be a proper coop, Jess! 😂👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is becoming irritated with their pooping on the walk and steps. Finding them a new home may be the best answer.

      Delete
  4. Could be a great fertilizer source; after it's composted. Keep us apprised...could get interesting. I usually get a kick out of watching neighbors fight each other, as long as I'm not in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been interesting to watch. I can understand both sides of the disagreement, could probably offer some useful advice, but wisdom tells me to stay out of it. So, I just sit back and watch.

      Delete
  5. Neighbor to our West has a considerable flock. Neighbor two doors to the West does also. About 3 A.M. the crowing starts...
    Call and response between neighbor's birds. Some would be irritated. This old country boy just smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are probably a dozen roosters in my immediate area. Some are closer than others, but on a still morning, most all can be heard announcing whatever they're announcing. It let's me know all is well.

      Delete