In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, April 30, 2023

It Was Windy

 The Galveston Ferry is about 1 1/2 hours away. Every once in a while, my wife, and I, will go for a day visit, or a visit with a stay overnight. Usually, we won't go on a weekend due to what can mean over an hour wait for loading on the ferry. During off times, the wait can be only a few minutes, or even never stopping before loading.

Yesterday, we decided to go for a few hours, and due to the partly cloudy, cooler weather, took a chance the ferry wait wouldn't be too long. It took about 40 minutes before loading on the way over, and about 20 minutes on the way back. Considering it can take much longer, the wait wasn't terribly long, and with the cool, strong north wind, cracking the windows was enough from becoming too hot. 

The wind was creating a pretty good chop of around 4 feet. This doesn't translate into a noticeable rock in the ferry, but when the wind is in certain directions, the cars on the front of the ferry may receive some spray. Yesterday was one of those days. 


The photo is of a ferry coming from Galveston to Bolivar. The wind was causing considerable spray, and the cars at front were receiving a soaking. I was concerned we'd be placed in the front on our way home, and suffer the same. Luckily, we were one of the last three cars on the ferry, and away from the spray. 

Galveston had many tourists. I'm sure many are fascinated by the city, and the history. My wife loves the city, but after spending months living in a hotel, and working on the port side, I don't have a strong urge to go, unless it's during the week, or during the winter. It's a fascinating city when you venture down the Strand, or travel the older locations that reveal the long history of the city. The beaches are beautiful, but unfortunately, it's attraction is towards tourists, and my personal experience isn't the best when it comes to tourists. Still, I'm sure for some it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I hope they enjoy their visit. Me? I can't stand how they jack up the prices of the hotels on the weekends, and the crowds.  


4 comments:

  1. I was never impressed by Galveston - went to the beach once or twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the time of the year, the water can become emerald green, but it usually isn't.

      I've found the beaches too crowded. In the Winter, the East Beach is a pleasant place to take a walk.

      Delete
  2. Flew the EMS helicopter out of Galveston hospital after IKE.
    Beach there is brown, and after experiencing Destin I was disappointed.
    But the history there IS interesting, and that alone makes it worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone interested in architecture, hours can be spent wandering the streets and looking at the old homes.

      Where I worked in Galveston still had some pilings from when ships were unloaded with horses and wagons. I once had access to the original plans, which showed the dock and access areas.

      Delete