In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, January 15, 2024

A Little Bit of Ice

 The Arctic front was slower than anticipated, and the freezing rain was very light after the heavier rain fell before most bridges were below freezing.  Icicles are about a quarter-inch long, and the freezing rain has moved on eastward. According to the experts, the clouds will hang, and tonight will bring temperatures in the mid-twenties. That's cold enough for me to catnap, run some water around the house, and keep and eye out for anything unusual. 

Tomorrow will bring clear skies, a high in the thirties and a low tomorrow night around 20 degrees. Without much wind, and everything insulated, I doubt any pipes will freeze, although I'll still probably be catnapping during the night. 

We'll have light freezes over the night during the next week, but highs will be well above freezing. I haven't checked next week's forecast, but it's Winter and just about anything can happen. I've seen it extremely wet this time of the year and watched dust blow during late January and early February. 

4 comments:

  1. Here in Minnesota at 8 PM, it is 3 degrees BELOW zero. Many years ago I lived for a while near Dallas. Nights like this, I kind of wish I had stayed there. :)
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't get that cold. The big problems are people driving too fast on icy bridges, failing to protect their plumbing, and being foolish with space heaters. We've already had too many house fires, and pile-ups on long bridges. The plumbing problems will arise when the temperature is above freezing late tomorrow morning.

      Delete
  2. The bonus of the bitter cold we have is that there's no ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare for us to get beyond the freezing rain phase into snow. Even then, the snow is usually preceded by freezing rain, and the mayhem on the highways is astounding.

      Delete