In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Remembering Cold Days

I stepped out this morning to a temperature of 40 degrees and the wind howling. The front came through yesterday, but the severe weather forecast didn't happen at my house. It was a strong front, and the wind did take down my porch curtains, but that was due to my neglect of securing them before taking a nap. 

In the past, on days like this, we'd work. Some tasks would drive us away (such as roof work) but most everything else required huddling from the cold, getting used to the cold wind blowing up the back of your coat, chapped skin, and the supreme fatigue after spending the entire day in the elements. Nothing compares to working in cold weather. 

I don't miss days like this at work. My instinct was to tell everyone to go home until better weather, but I knew we could accomplish something, and I was obligated to continue the quest for a profit, and the need of the hands for income during the winter months, which led to many days without work. It was what it was, and I'm glad those days are over.


2 comments:

  1. I love these days - nice and cold and no sweat - but I liked Alaska, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working requires as much mobility as possible, and the least amount of layered clothing to keep from being too hot or too cold. Chapped dry skin and lips lead to burning pain if the cold lasts for days. When it's not at work, it can be pleasant to sit by a fire in the evening.

      Delete