In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, October 20, 2024

Dark Skies Tonight

I dragged out the tripod, and binoculars, to see if I could still see the comet. I could, and with it higher above the horizon, and without too much sky glow, it was more spectacular, in my opinion. 

It's about apparent magnitude of 7, so without really dark skies, naked eye observation is out of the question With binoculars, the comet is a dull point of light, and the tail is about 1 degree in apparent length. (for reference, the full moon is 1/2 degree across) It might be more, but only a time lapse photo would show how spectacular it is to observe.

I miss the clear, dark skies where I once lived. Over time, with people moving closer, TxDot building some tall light towers, and an increase in population in the local small community, once skies good for observing the heavens became mediocre, at best. 

The sky is much darker where I now live, but unless I take out my pellet rifle, and spend some time taking care of some security lights, I have to tolerate the effect it has with astronomy. I don't like it, but that's how things are. It's not the best, but tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment