In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Reflecting

 I was reflecting on how things change. I now live where I once hunted. Pastures once filled with cattle are now cookie-cutter testaments to urban sprawl, small rural highways are now six lane streets in congested areas, once clear night skies are dimmed by electric lighting that removes the splendor of the heavens, and the creep of "civilization" is closer than I feel comfortable with. 

I'm now at the age of my grandfather (who was in the Army Air Corp during WW1) when the first men landed on the moon. He, too, eventually lived where he once hunted, and watched the evolution of flight from fabric covered airplanes to supersonic jets. Communication during his youth was by mail, or telegraph. Telephones eventually arrived, but a party line was the usual luxury of a telephone in a home. He lived to see mobile phones, but was gone before the modern smart phones were introduced. 

Unless some miracle method to stop aging arrives, my time here is down to maybe a few decades. It's a sobering thought, and at this time, I'm in good enough health to have not reached the point passing on will be a welcome relief. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, and count my blessings. Age has brought the realization all the "things" so cherished when young are burdens during later life, and the simple things, when observed without the bustle of a career, are things to be cherished.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess. I dislike this urban sprawl. I moved into "country" 16 years ago. Or what passes for country in this area. Now there are 3 or maybe 4 or maybe they are all the same housing developments less than 4 miles from me. When I moved here I could hear sirens maybe once a week, now it is 3 or 4 times daily due to urban sprawl. I dislike it I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete