In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Another Hurricane

Hurricane Milton is the next storm to threaten the U.S. mainland. The question is how strong it will be at landfall. That, and how it will affect the area in Florida where it is expected to make landfall. 

I looked at the Tampa area elevations. Surprisingly, like many sections of the Florida Coast, elevations way above any surge are found near the coast. Anything 20 feet, or above, in elevations will not be inundated by a storm surge, and if impacted by a hurricane in the last few years, wind damage will be much lower than an area not impacted for decades. 

So, there is a lot of doom and gloom, which is what some of the meteorologists are paid to peddle, but I have a feeling those in Florida know the drill, most will leave, newer structures have been built for hurricane force winds, and the state forces are will prepared to offer help after the passage of the storm. Hopefully, as it approaches, the wind lessens, a lower number hurricane comes ashore, and those that were just impacted by Helene are not severely impacted by the next storm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment