In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

In The Palmetto Flat

 It's been years since I squirrel hunted. It was once a yearly thing, since Texas has a season on the critters, and hunting them alone was a peaceful trek into the woods of the Big Thicket. That, and a properly prepared squirrel and sausage gumbo is a tasty treat. 

I remember one early Fall day when I trekked into an area to see if I could find some squirrels. It was still, cloudy, and the fall leaves occasionally fell from the trees. My footsteps seemed loud, and I had to move slowly to prevent startling the prey I sought. As I moved through the woods, I came upon a palmetto flat. At about a half acre, and with the ground damp, I silently started crossing toward the hardwood trees on the other side. There would be acorns and maybe some squirrels. 

I was halfway in crossing, when I head the rustling in the edge of the woods. Unlike a small animal, the rustling was loud and made by more than one animal. I could see over the palmettos, so I looked toward the sounds, but could only see the tops of the palmettos moving from what was below. 

I had a shotgun, but it was filled with bird shot, and would be useless against what I now suspected. It was only moments before I smelled their foul smell and grunts as they rooted through the palmettos. I knew there were feral pigs in the woods, but at my disadvantage, I knew I should have strapped something more substantial to my hip. 

I stood completely still. I knew that if I could smell them, they probably wouldn't wind me, since they came from the upwind side. I waited as they moved along only a few yards from where I stood. I couldn't see them, but had my shotgun ready if they came upon me. I had no idea if they would just move along if they found me, or I would soon be involved in a life struggle against a drove of pissed off hogs.

I didn't need to find out. They passed near, but out of my sight and soon were back into the woods. I waited until I couldn't hear them any longer, made my way out of the palmettos the same way I came, and eventually was out of the woods where I started. 

I think the worst part was knowing I had nowhere to run. That, and the nearest tree was farther than I could outrun a drove of pigs. I chalked it up to experience and made a note on how not to hunt where I didn't have an escape.

5 comments:

  1. Not so many around here . . . feral dogs are more prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a problem with feral dogs years back. Bait traps were set, and many were shot. The problem went away.

      Delete
  2. riverrider762@gmail.comOctober 27, 2023 at 9:23 AM

    learned that lesson at 13 out squirrel hunting. came across freshly opened honeybee tree. miles from home with a 22 single shot. reinforced at 16 when i had a bear in my sight and heard a click when i should have heard a boom. chill ran up my spine. never go in the woods w/o a 45.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does everything now remind me of what the Israelis are going through?

    ReplyDelete