In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

This Bothered Me All Day

A few months ago, my brother had a colonoscopy, and cancer was found. The initial diagnosis depended on the depth of the cancer, and it was diagnosed as stage 3. Chemotherapy followed, and after speaking to my brother a few weeks ago, he had another round to take, and more tests to follow.

I hadn't spoke with my brother over the last two weeks. Through relatives, I found out my brother is now stage four, and his liver is now affected. The plan is a huge dose of a chemotherapy cocktail, and radiation. If this doesn't work, there are no other options.

This is not easy. This is something I never expected, and created a fear of not only losing my brother, but of him suffering. I thought it would be easier, since I've already lost two brothers, but it's not. His time may be very short, and I still have decades of visiting to do. He planned on moving back to our neck of the woods after retirement, and be closer to his family.

Anyway, this has bothered me all day, and I have a feeling it will bother me for a long time. 


8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to here this.
    6 months ago, my brother finally went to an emergency room, since it was a weekend. He had been feeling weird and his daughter forced him on a Sunday morning.
    Cancer. When they operated they told him he would either be under for an hour or 6 hours, depending.
    When he woke up, his first words: "What time is it?"
    6 hours. Chemo and radiation after the surgery and he just went back to work.
    I know how you feel.
    We'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Modern medicine isn't promising. Prayer is.

      Delete
  2. Jess, You are in my thoughts and prayers. Life sucks, then we become ill, and its just hard to wrap your mind around it. Improvements have been made in so many fields of medicine, but still it seems like not enough is being done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother is outpatient at the supposed leading cancer institute in the world. My father was at the same place, but all the advances in medicine art limited. It's all a crap shoot, and up to God.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had the right words to say, but all I can offer is prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no words. I too will say a prayer wishing him and your family comfort during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I talked to my brother yesterday. His attitude is great, and he's changed doctors. The other doctor was quick to say stage 4, when an MRI hadn't been done to verify the diagnosis.

      Delete