In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, September 10, 2021

Ignorance Is Not Pleasant

When I was young, a trip to the beach was rare, and the possible severe sunburn just as rare...but with consequences. At that time, I don't think many thought of the long-term effects. Even worse, it was acceptable for a "loving" sibling, or friend, to slap you on the back to enjoy the reaction of the pain. 

I remember one long day at the beach, the severe sunburn, the lack of relief from Noxema, and the huge water blisters that formed everywhere except the area covered by my swimsuit. After the blisters dried, I looked like a big, shedding lizard, which only added to the discomfort from the event. I thought little of it at the time, but a trip to the dermatologist this week reminded me of the consequences. 

As with a previous visit, a biopsy was performed on some suspected spots, and the rest were treated with what is called cryosurgery. For those that don't what that is, a device that looks like an oil can is used to pour measured amounts of liquid nitrogen on areas of the skin. It's not pleasant to have this done, especially after a few dozen areas are treated. The burns it leaves soon blister, and like all burns, the pain lasts. 

So, now I'm scheduled for some more treatments in about two months, and will be informed if any of the biopsied areas require treatment for cancer. It's the result of ignorance, and a warning to those that willingly bare their skin to the sun. Ultraviolet radiation is an ionizing radiation, even though it doesn't penetrate deep into the skin. Cellular damage is severe, and like all ionizing radiation, ultraviolet radiation can cause damage to DNA. This can, and will, lead to dangerous cellular mutations.

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that.
    I remember you mentioned you were going to the doc for a treatment.
    I have no idea what you're going through.
    Our thoughts and prayers are sent for speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not an excruciating procedure, but it does hurt. I have a feeling future trips to the dermatologist will have some trepidation.

      Delete
  2. I grew up in Southeast Texas, and suffered quite a few of those same sunburns at Lake Livingston, Lake Somerville, and Galveston. I've had several moles surgically removed as a result, and quite a few spots cryogenically removed as well. I get a physical with a complete going-over every year, and at my quarterly blood pressure checks, my doctor checks all the spots on my back, shoulders, head, and arms. If only I'd known then what I know now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried to have the kids not repeat my mistakes. I also grew up at altitude, where I could get a good sunburn in less than 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete