In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, May 5, 2023

Arguing with Science

 A few times in my life, I've been, more or less, thought of as someone that is pulling data out of my butt. It's a little disconcerting, since such things can lead to people thinking you're a modern day Cliff Clavin. (for those that don't understand what that means, look up some old episodes of Cheers).

My brother, years ago, was incredulous of my telling him about a brutal day of working in Galveston, Texas. The heat index - according to calculators that do such things - was above 130 degrees, but I could tell he was not believing me. I let it go. He wasn't there, and he had no idea how miserable it was. Fifteen minutes in that heat was beyond exhausting. I had heat cramps that bowed me up like a cut worm. 

Today, I went through the same thing again. I won't say which family member doubted my explanation of why it was so uncomfortable, but here is the data:

Humidity - 77%

Temperature - 93 F.

My calculator shows the heat index was 122 F.

I could be depending on a calculator that gives false answers. Then again, I could be right. I won't go through the mathematics because I'm too lazy, and I need something cold to drink.

6 comments:

  1. Your heat index is the opposite of our wind chill factor here in our Minnesota winters. Each provides its own set of miseries. Stay as cool as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get thunderstorms that brew in Central Texas and can move into my neck of the woods. One came through this morning, which promises a steamy day. The cloud cover may keep the heat down, but probably not.

      Delete
  2. "but I could tell he was not believing me."
    Sometimes knowing you're right is all that matters. And Jess, I think you know when you're right far more often than not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather stations only reflect current conditions in a place miles away from your current location. My local reported conditions are 40 miles away, near the coast, and usually are different than where I live.

      I can understand people being suspicious of anyone that reports different conditions than what they expect. Most don't have a clue to how their weather is reported, or the data collected.

      Delete
  3. I have encountered that before. Non believers would tell me i didnt know what i was talking about, while sitting in their a/c car. High temps are no joke, gatorade is your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother died from heat stroke. I've come close enough to such an event to know it overcomes in minutes, and without a way to be removed from the environment, death is just about guaranteed.

      Delete