In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Coffee Thoughts

When dirt was new, and I worked offshore, I started drinking coffee. Why at that point in my life? I have no idea, but it influenced my taste for coffee.

We had two pots of coffee: one was a large percolator with the light roast, and the other was a small percolator with the dark roast. The large pot always seemed to be empty, when I had time for coffee, and the small always seemed full.

Only one man on the platform liked the dark roast, which was the reason for the small pot. I soon joined him, since there was always coffee, and I became accustomed to the dark, strong coffee.

I remember visiting my grandparents one afternoon, and was offered some coffee. I jumped at the opportunity, but was disappointed. I knew they didn't drink strong coffee, but seeing the bottom of the cup was a sign there would be some flavor, but not very much. It was as though my grandmother made an effort to see how weak she could make coffee, and still call it coffee.

So, my taste in coffee is the darker roasts, strong and with plenty of sugar and cream. It's how I roll, and while some have given me flack over how I fix my coffee, I really don't care. I like it that way, and they can kiss my butt, if it's so disturbing to them, as they flex their muscles and act like they enjoy their black coffee.

My favorite is Community Coffee. I know many can't buy it at the store, since it's a local product found mostly in Louisiana and along the Gulf Coast. Still, it's one to try, if you really like coffee. To me, it's up there with any gourmet coffee, and makes for some enjoyable moments in the early morning.

One word of caution: If you see Community Coffee in a convenience store, or doughnut shop, don't assume it will be a good cup of coffee. They mostly use the prepackaged filter bags, which makes the coffee taste as though it was filtered through an old sock. Avoid such things; they can ruin your first experience with Community Coffee.


12 comments:

  1. For years I have made weak coffee because I am frugal (read - cheap). Since my son has come home, he has taken over the coffee making duties. At first I told him that his coffee was so thick it would work to tar a roof. But I have grown to love the stuff. Told him the other day that I wouldn't mind when he found his own place to live as long as he swings by my apartment every morning on his way to work and makes my coffee. :)
    How are you doing since surgery? Have been thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surgery is tomorrow morning. After some really bad nights over the last week, I'm ready for some relief.

      Delete
    2. Do you have an android device wirth speech to text?

      Delete
    3. I have a flip-top, with very limited internet capabilities.

      I receive some grief, since my phone is somewhat of a dinosaur, but to upgrade costs more, another phone purchase, and a screen that requires me to rub my grubby fingers on it.

      Delete
  2. I always ask the waitress what brand they serve.
    Then I find they only swrvice restaurants or offices.
    Community is one and we're in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have the opportunity to enjoy the coffee. Fresh brewed, or fresh ground, are the best.

      Delete
  3. I started drinking coffee when I was in high school, but my taste in coffee really took off when I joined the Navy.

    In the USN, there is a particularly pungent brew known as "engine room" coffee. You can brew a reasonable facsimile yourself at home by brewing a pot of your favorite brand. Then you let the pot sit on the hot plate untouched for about 12 hours. Add a pinch of salt (because the shipboard evaporators are never 100%) and a drop of diesel oil for that extra special taste and blue sheen.

    Mm, good. Puts hair on your chest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the same at field offices on construction sites. Stirring in cream and sugar requires a stirrer made from a sheet from a legal pad.

      Delete
  4. I have never been able to cultivate a taste for coffee in any form. However, I have come to enjoy a very good cup of dark tea such as Assam with whole milk and sugar. Gotta have the milk and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have a local tea that is available in gallons. on some days, I'll put a cup in the microwave, and enjoy what tastes like fresh brewed tea.

      Delete
  5. I like my coffee ferguson style. Black, piping hot and in mass quantities. Free. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only wrong, if there's a coffee kitty, and you don't put some change to help with the funds.

      Delete