In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, February 18, 2022

It's Different

I abandoned city life in the mid-eighties. The crime was one thing that chased me away, and the fact nobody batted an eye at young teens wandering the streets at midnight on a school night. With having an exhaust system stolen of my motorcycle in the middle of the day, I knew my neighbors ( that would look out their curtains if I came home late) were useless. It's been interesting since then. 

Living in a rural area isn't something they prepare you for, if you were raised in the city. There are things you take for granted that become a new responsibility. You don't realize this, until what is sometimes a major problem occurs in the middle of the night. 

Water wells demand knowledge, or a contingency fund that has enough money to pay someone else to repair. I've had to replace pressure switches, pump assemblies, air volume controls, pump motors, pump seals and well head seals. That, repair a broken well head, and replace an underground power cable. Usually, the problem developed on a weekend, or at night, when everyone was closed.  I don't know how much money I saved over the years, but from what I know, it's been thousands of dollars.

Troubleshooting water wells develops over years, and listening to the pump run becomes an important task. Fast cycling means draining the tank to prevent waterlogging the tank, and lengthens the time between changing the pressure switch, which always seems to fail in the middle of the night. Waking without water is a unique way to start the day, but unlike in the city, having water again is usually a few minutes of work, and never having to wait days for a city crew. After a few years of this, the best solution is investing in a water tank that has a bladder. The bladder keeps the air pocket from saturating, and a waterlogged tank never happens.

Septic systems are another unique problem. They aren't fail-safe, and understanding they might have to be pumped every now and then prevents them backing into the yard. That and fill lines may need to be cleaned, or replaced. It's not a pleasant task, but if you're willing to take it on, it can save thousands of dollars. 

Having a chain saw is a necessity. If it's not just for cutting things around the house, it's more than useful, if you have to cut your way in after a hurricane. That, and removing an errant tree that falls in the yard. Since it's outside the burning restrictions of the city, piling the cuttings around the stump leads to a nice fire for a cold night. If you have good neighbors, they might come to share a few moments. If not, they know you have a shotgun handy for critters, and two legged critters are still critters.

Country life allows chickens, horses, goats, and other farm animals. It doesn't allow all to roam freely. Your neighbors garden isn't there for grazing, and your dog that kills chickens is on borrowed time. Keeping them all at bay requires the knowledge of using post hole diggers, fence stretchers, and the fastener to hold it all in place. Of course, you can hire this out, but that sometimes defeats the reason most people leave the city. There's a feeling of satisfaction knowing you can build fence, coops, and keep them all clear with a chainsaw and weed killer.

It's probably easier in the city. There are so many things you don't have to worry about, but it comes at a cost, with the worst cost having to deal with the people that want your stuff.  We do have crime, but nothing like what's in the city. Usually, those known to be criminals find they're not welcome any longer, and leave on their own. Those that don't may find being arrested was the best part of their day.

11 comments:

  1. All things you mentioned are true.
    A couple of additional things I have noticed about living in the country; 1) the quiet; except for wildlife...2) the ability to see the night sky..
    I don't miss the city at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised in a refinery town, so a constant rumble was always present, and the extra light made only the brightest of stars visible. The first time I saw the night sky in the country almost took my breath away.

      Delete
  2. I feel like you do. We moved to the rural area 13 years ago and love it. Unfortunately the city is moving ever closer to us with housing develpments just a couple miles east of us. The first night here I went outside and looked at the sky and it was absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in another rural area for thirty years. What was ranch and farm land eventually was sold by the children. New houses appeared, more traffic arrived, and property values increased. This lead to higher taxes, more light pollution, and the realization I was being surrounded by those that wanted to bring the city to their country homes.

      One thing I can't understand is the number of lights people place. Their reason is for security, but they fail to realize the night in your own territory is your friend. Those willing to wander with criminal activities on their minds will become victims, and from my experiences, will avoid areas where they're easily overcome.

      Delete
    2. I don't understand that either, Jess. When my wife and I moved out here, one of the things that sold us on the place was the fact that, on a moonless night, you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Now, 22 years later, between all of the security lights and recent development of nearby farm land, it's almost as bad as being downtown.

      Even with all of that, the night sky hereabouts is still pretty impressive on a clear night, but nothing I've seen anywhere was as breathtaking as the first time I saw the night sky from a blacked out Navy ship 500 miles from the nearest land.

      Delete
  3. Semi-rural here.
    Not downtown, no HOA nazis, work on my truck in the yard, know my neighbors, help each other or ignore each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About five miles away, they built roads, and a community water/sewer system. The homes are large, with big garages, and an extremely slow sale of property. It's an HOA and considering the amount of money spent for homes, it's not what many people want.

      Delete
  4. Well said. But still a 1000% better than a city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better. I have water, regardless of electricity, and a gravity sewer system. With family close, and good neighbors, it's a cooperative effort to leave each other alone, and always be there if needed.

      Delete
  5. The snob district across the road from me is experiencing a crime wave. That is not a neighbourhood for dirt people like us, the properties start at around a half a mill and go up - straight up. Small stuff, break ins and theft. The perps are local teenagers - kids that live in those neighbourhoods. They know because they have been caught on numerous security cameras late at night, checking for unlocked doors on cars in the street and garages. They know exactly who these kids are... and the cops won't touch them.

    I don't get it. One of the fathers found out, and tanned Junior's hide and grounded him. The little bugger is friends with a great big noggered kid - and so the son brings his black friend home to beat the hell out of his father. I heard there might be charges laid for that - eventually. But the kid is a minor and that limits what they can do to him.

    If I lived there I'd sell and get the hell out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand how much crime is tolerated in cities. Then again, living in the city may be the reason. Too many are willing to sacrifice liberty for a little security.

      Delete