In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, November 27, 2020

Portent?

 A family of Eastern Bluebirds stays in the yard. The number varies, but it appears after the breeding season, the youngsters are chased away, and only one pair claims the yard. This has changed in the last few days.

Eastern Bluebirds stay year round in my area. In fact, they stay year round as far as the northern Mid-West, with those above that area moving south, or to the southwest. That, from past observations, didn't change the amount in my yard this time of the year, until this year.

I counted 21 Eastern Bluebirds on the power line this morning. That's a huge number, which made me do some research. Since my research only confirmed my past observations, this anomaly must mean some severe weather event forced large numbers to my area. Whether it's an isolated event, or a portent of a severe Winter is to be seen. Regardless, I have a feeling it's a rare occurrence, and a treat for the Winter. They're beautiful, and fun to watch.

2 comments:

  1. We don't have the Eastern Bluebirds here. We do have scrub jays that seem to chase away the other birds. Scrubs are not nearly as pretty as the Eastern Bluebirds.
    During the migration, we sometimes see a bunting...well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robins arrived, and they seem to number in the dozens around the yard.

      I'm waiting for the indigo buntings, which usually appear later in the season.

      Delete