In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

It's Been 80 Years

 I wasn't alive during the attack on Pearl Harbor. My parents, grandparents, and most adults were, when I was younger. They remembered the initial shock, and horror. They had to deal with the following years and losses of vast numbers of young folks that fought in places that were once exotic vacation locations. It all happened 80 years ago, and it's apparent many today have no idea of the significance of today's date. The call "Remember Pearl Harbor" has faded away into the past, and those that endured are mostly gone. 

May we never forget how the world can be an evil place, run by evil people, and never be unprepared.

I have to add a local man's remains were finally identified, and they laid him to rest today. He was killed on the Oklahoma, and only modern technology finally allowed positive identification. He was given the burial of a hero, which is a fitting sendoff for a soul lost 80 years ago.


6 comments:

  1. Meanwhile, another tyrannical Asian Empire rises in the east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To add insult to injury, the President is in their back pocket.

      Delete
  2. Pa Wilder signed up the next day . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father finished boot camp at the end of the war, and was sent to occupied Japan.

      Delete
  3. That shipped sailed. Lest we forget... what, again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eighty years gives enough distance in generations to breed another group of citizens easily lulled into complacency.

      Delete