In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Something Different

 Last year, during late Spring, I put away the hummingbird feeders until Fall. This year, after doing I little research, I discovered some will stay, even during the hot months. I left one up, and watched. 

In June, it first appeared there were no hummingbirds to be found. Eventually, I noticed one feeding one morning. While the feeder was not showing but little signs of the level going down, it was slowly becoming empty. The attrition was too slow, so I changed the sugar water when I felt it was needed. 

Over the last few weeks, two or more hummingbirds would come to the feeder, and one day, one came that had no brilliant colors. Solid brown, and a little smaller, I'm sure it was a fledgling. Close observation revealed one male, one female, and the fledgling at the feeder. 

Over the last two days, it became apparent there are more coming to the feeder, and one male will constantly chase away those it feels shouldn't be feeding at the feeder. He'll chase one away, and while he's gone, another will slip in to feed.

I don't know if the lack of flowers, and the late Summer heat, have led more hummingbirds to the feeder, or if the great migration is in its early stage. Regardless, I hung another feeder, and will wait to see. During the middle of the migration, dozens will congregate for their turn to feed, and the buzz of their wings will fill the air.

2 comments:

  1. We put one feeder out in July when we noticed a hummer in the flower garden, in 3 days we saw 2, then more arrived and like you we had one that chased others away, placed the second feeder up and it seemed like suddenly we had a dozen hummers. One feeder is guarded and the other seems to be free for all and needs filling every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen more since I put up the other feeder. It's a buffet for the hummingbirds, and more are sure to come.

      Delete