In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Skills By Observing

I've never built stairs. In theory, I knew how the risers are cut, but never had to cut any. For porches, I'd buy the pre-cuts and make them work. However, my wife doesn't care for the 7 1/2 inch step height, which I understand. The less you have to step up, the more comfortable is walking up the steps. I'd seen risers cut, so I decided to build them myself.

The problem with pre-cuts is the standard height of the steps. To take care of my wife, I decided on a 6 inch tread height for some steps I added on the side of the porch. With our new dog, she wanted a small yard for him to be safe if we can't watch him. So placing new steps, adding some fence, and placing a small gate at the front steps will give him and area for outside, without worrying if he decides to chase the UPS truck. 

I found a site on the web with a calculator for the steps. I knew the rise, and the run didn't matter, since that was a flexible distance. Placing my figures, seeing what was necessary, buying the materials and careful measuring with a framing square, soon yielded the risers. Placing two deck boards beside each other gave me the tread width I needed. The fence is started, and I hung the gate on the two 4 by 4's I concreted in the other day.  

So, the steps are in, without the handrails. That's tomorrows task, if it doesn't rain. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if it did. Not working like I once did revealed some muscles I forgot. A little Acetaminophen helps, but rest is probably best. I have some more post holes to dig for the fence, and that's not my favorite task.

7 comments:

  1. Magnesium is good for sore muscles. If you're low on it and you take too much, you won't have to worry about it raining. You'll be in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a time release version - eliminates the bathroom issue. BobT

      Delete
    2. I take a magnesium supplement, but am ever mindful of what too much can do.

      Delete
  2. Those muscles we don't use consistently sure do have a way of reminding us we've neglected them. ;)
    Hope ya feel better and the rest of the job is a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wake up call, but the fact I still can makes me realize how blessed I am.

      Delete
  3. Nice! I've got some deck work to do myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the composite materials, but they're too expensive. That, and I think they'd burn like old tires if they ever catch fire.

      Delete