In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, February 3, 2024

When the Bad Weather Isn't

 During the year (especially when cold fronts threaten) we can get what I call "dicey" weather. When the storms are really bad, the thump when the first gust of wind hits the house, it leaves a few moments of panic. That, and when you can read a book by the lightning, or the rumble of thunder is like a twenty mile long string of loaded dump trucks passing by, there's no doubt the weather will be "dicey". The worst can bring power outages, and depending on how many trees fall on the lines, how long that lasts can be a crap shoot.

The weather folks (bless their hearts) predicted we had the possibility of some severe thunderstorms overnight. They weren't really really sure if they would reach our area (in fact they were betting they wouldn't) but wanted to keep the possibility open for their general CYA protocol requirements. This, to me, guarantees light sleeping, and a general feeling of anxiety. 

So, with my radar link handy on my phone, I watched television until late, watched a line of really strong storms develop, and decided to go to bed, since it would be hours before the storms arrived. The storms looked like they were losing their punch, and maybe the weather folks were right. 

I didn't sleep long. A low rumble of thunder woke me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. Within a few moments, I could hear heavy rain falling, which indicated to me the weather was about to get dicey. A quick glance at my phone showed a line of storms with heavy rain, and the white in the middle of the storms made it clear there was either very heavy rain, or some severe weather about to arrive. 

I got up, fixed a cup of coffee, and went out on the porch. The heavy rain had stopped, and there was only an occasional bolt of lightning in the distance. Looking at the weather map, there was some severe weather about twenty miles to the south, and it was looking as though the line of storms in my area weren't severe, although we were about to get some really heavy rain. It soon arrived, passed in a few minutes and only left some steady rain. That was good, but according to the original forecast, there would be two rounds of storms, and the second would happen when the wind shift arrived. 

Now, it's still raining, and the radar is showing round two will arrive sometime in the next few hours. It looks like it will be either bad, really heavy rain, or both. I won't know until arrives. Hopefully the severe stuff will stay away, but I'm not counting on it. I'll go make another cup of coffee, cook some sausage, and make breakfast. If the power goes out, at least I had a good breakfast. 

4 comments:

  1. The "weather folks," CYA. Yep. They're so excited to bring news of storms and bad weather, and disappointed if it doesn't happen.
    Good grief, in addition to your Jan. 25 post on rain, the soil must be drenched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drainage is slow, and a heavy rain event will be overwhelming, but outfalls are still draining down within a few days.

      Delete
  2. cut them some slack, the weather manipulators don't coordinate with them. don't believe me? google it. i didn't believe it either. need more evidence? flightradar24.com. look for the callsigns marked n/a. mostly ovr north texas and oklahoma, n/s dakota but can be found anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather forecasters have a job that requires them to predict something that is mostly unpredictable. Manipulating the weather is worse, since such manipulations only create more chaos in the atmosphere.

      Delete