In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, October 7, 2021

Owls in the Night

I went to bed early. My sinuses have been affected by the dryer weather, which led to some lethargy and a demand to rest. It's a good thing, but sometimes - like tonight - I awake, and a cup of coffee calls for me to go sit on the porch. 

It's quiet. The early Fall air doesn't have even the slightest stir of a breeze, all the air conditioner units are not running, and the chilled air is invigorating. Looking at the heavens bring the reward of a dark sky filled with stars that hang like jewels on black canvas.  

The owls are busy. A hoot owl calls. Another call brings the answer of a female. Their conversation is interrupted by the trill of a screech owl. Another answers in the distant, and the night becomes a haunting cacophony of owl songs. To those unfamiliar, their hair would stand up on the back of their necks, as the sounds used to add fear to a scary movie become real in the night.

These are the moments that could last forever. That's probably why I like this time of the year best. The heat of Summer is broken, the night insects leave, frogs become dormant, and the only sounds - if there are sounds - are those of the night birds and maybe: the low stirring of a light wind in the pines.

12 comments:

  1. The sounds of the night bring peace to the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I lived in the city for years, moved to the country, and moved again into the woods. The city had night sounds I was used to, and they were peaceful compared to the hectic days, but night away from the rumbles brought new sounds. Sometimes, after a good rain, the frogs are so loud, you have to raise you voice when talking.

      Delete
  2. Happens all the time where I live in the woods. The calls are sometimes made and answered in a 360 degree circle around my house. Even better is when I surprise one while walking in the woods and get to watch them silently fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years, I lived in a house isolated in the middle of farm land. One night, when the moon was full, a great horned owl flew by within arm's reach. It was deathly quiet, but there still was no sound to be heard.

      Delete
  3. Years ago, I had an alfalfa farm. I would bale the alfalfa at night. The noise of the tractor and baler along with the lights would startle wild hares. Every so often I would see a glimpse of a barn owl swooping down to get dinner.

    This morning, the fog rolled in for the first time since Autumn began. It was peaceful. I could just hear the chatter of the squirrel family in the tree nearby my back porch. Off in the distance, the sound of a train's horn being blown was muted by the fog. It was indeed a magical morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a few foggy nights, and mornings. It rolls in and within minutes, visibility is down to a few hundred yards.

      There's nothing like a distant train horn on a cool morning.

      Delete
  4. "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for y'all?"
    Barred owls. Love 'em.
    And spooking a "Great Horned Owl" from his/her perch and setting them to flight with their almost 6-foot wingspan is enough to make me wet myself.
    But like you, I love the fact they live with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard, or seen, a Great Horned Owl where I now live. That's not that they're not here, but they may be deeper in the woods. They have plenty to eat around here, and those with small dogs should be wary when they let them out at night.

      Delete
  5. Clear night tonight. Quiet, except for circling jets. I guess they found me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 100 miles from two major airports. During the day, there's usually a jet passing over any time of the day.

      At night, they pretty well shut down many of the commercial flights. I have seen what must be military jets flying higher than commercial flights and along flight paths different than commercial flight paths.

      Delete
  6. we used to have owls (big ones) in my neighborhood where there are a lot of large trees. for some reason they haven't been around for the last couple of winters. i miss them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they move to where they can find a mate. That, and where the food is plentiful. This year, that might be your area, and you'll have them back again.

      Delete