In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

I Have to Share This Picture

Dogs have a tendency to choose where they want to be. They respond to attention, and my great nephew's dog decided to move in. Being retired, having time to spend with him, letting him in when it's cold out, and keeping food around for when he's hungry led to him staying most of the day. That, and he started not going home at night and ignoring their calls to come home. We'd bring him home after dark, but late one night, after we thought he was home, I was awakened by a bark outside. I opened the door to find him standing at the door with a pitiful look on his face. He'd ignored the calls of his master, or his master thought he was in. Regardless he stayed that night, my wife would ask my niece if he could stay on some nights, and it's now official he has a new home. 

I've had dogs, and a menagerie of different pets over time; including monkeys. All take a piece of your heart, and some are a lifetime of responsibility. My divorce years ago led to no pets, and my new wife was hesitant to have any pets, except fish. I was the same, since the loss when they pass is something I don't relish, but this little dog has found a place in our heart. He's a ball of energy during the day, but when the day is done, he rests all night. 



7 comments:

  1. OK, Jess...Now I am seriously in love. Said as one who has had animals her whole life and regrets she can no longer care for them properly. Good on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of three dogs rescued and put up for adoption. He was first to be adopted by my great-nephew, his brother got the other brother, but the sister was already adopted, so the family of young dogs wasn't kept together.

      This one is named Mo. His brother's name is Larry. If the sister had been adopted, she would have been named Curly.

      Delete
    2. The names couldn't have been more perfect! :)

      Delete
  2. People don't realize that dogs choose their people as much or more than people choose their dogs.

    There's a connection, almost an audible twang, when eyes lock and the bond is made.

    With good service dog organizations, they get a group of people and more dogs than the people, and then troop the dogs in. As much as some of the people want 'that dog,' the organization won't allow the pairing unless the dog chooses the person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best way. Dogs have an instinct humans don't really understand.

      Delete
  3. Dogs know who the good people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found if the dog doesn't like someone, there is a good reason.

      Delete