In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Vultures Roosting

 Behind a neighbor's, black vultures would accumulate a few years ago, when one of his goats died in the back of his land. They made short work of it, but over time, I've noticed they found a roosting spot in the trees, and will stay for long periods of time. They'll leave in the morning, circle high over the surrounding area, and come back at night. 

Yesterday, in the early afternoon, I noticed many had landed by the pond in the back, and were foraging for the clams exposed by the shrinking pond. The drought exposed many, and over time, those that don't go for deeper water will eventually die in the shallower water. Wading in the shallow edge, a vulture would find one, and soon have to defend the small meal from the other vultures. 

I counted over thirty by the pond, in the trees, and on the fence. Many were just preening, and others sleeping with their heads tucked under their wings. I'd wondered where vultures went at night, and now have an answer. They've found a place to roost, and in the next nesting season, they'll probably lay eggs on the ground and raise more vultures. Since they mate for life, I have a feeling they'll stay for years, unless something, or someone, disturbs their nesting site. They're interesting to watch, and have a purpose to dispose of what most people have no desire to dispose of. 

6 comments:

  1. They're common on the road here. Big, ponderous things that aren't very afraid of cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit one a few years ago that flew in front of my pickup. I saw them on the shoulder, slowed way down, and one flew into traffic instead of away from the highway. It left a small scratch and lots of feathers.

      Delete
  2. I like vultures. As you said, they perform a service in nature that none of us want to do.
    I've been saying that if I die and find out that reincarnation is real, but I have to come back as a non-human, I would choose to become a buzzard.
    Think about it. They're ugly - to us - but not to each other. They tend to live a long time. They can eat nearly anything - and like it. They have no natural predators, (except maybe your pickup truck), and, most importantly, they can soar like an eagle, something I've always wanted to be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ride the thermals, ascend to thousands of feet, and spend long periods of time circling in their quest for a meal. Their eyesight must be fantastic.

      Delete
  3. They always scared the hell out of me as an aviator... You don't 'expect' birds up that high, and they WILL bring down an airplane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gauged their size against other birds. They're big, and I can envision how much damage they can cause on any size aircraft traveling at any speed. I wouldn't want to be a pilot that hit one, or more, of them flying in a group.

      Delete