In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

A Fleeting Memory

 I was watching a television show about searching for proof of aliens. It was interesting, but like most, it was full of subjective opinions, a lack of definitive proof, and the questions raised by the experiences of people. It brought back a short conversation I had with someone over forty years ago, while working on a project on a rural highway in the East Texas woods. 

I was young, and the man I was talking to had worked for decades for what was then known as the Texas Highway Department. I brought up a report I read about an encounter by two women on a rural highway near the city of Dayton, Texas, which is now known as the Cash-Landrum incident. I was skeptical, and his response was he saw the highway where the incident was reported to have happened. Something very hot had damaged the paving, and it had to be repaired. He had no idea if it was real, or not, but something did happen to the paving. 

As time goes on, and people are gone, things that may be important disappear. Considering how the incident was "investigated" by those with the most to hide makes me wonder what really did happen. Those that would really know are either gone, or getting close, and if there is any proof, it's hidden away in some classified file never to be revealed. 

The one thing I always found as odd was the proximity of the reported incident to Houston, Texas. At about forty miles away, and with an operational military facility nearby, it hardly seems to be a place any alien intelligence would reveal their existence. The women did report a substantial amount helicopters (some having twin rotors) around the object, which would indicate military involvement. Somewhere, somebody knows something, but will never tell, and it will remain a mystery for a long time.

10 comments:

  1. Just one of many... And no, we'll never know the truth. It was buried too deeply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sheriff deputy reported seeing helicopters, but not any object. That I found intriguing. What were all those helicopters doing that night?

      Delete
  2. If there was that much heat coming off of that thing (UFO?) that it softened the Vinal dashboard in the car- through the windshield....
    There should have been some kind of burnt/dried/dead pine trees along the path of that thing.

    I know the sun will heat up tools so you can't touch them with bare hands unless you put them in shade, but I've never had vinal dashboard get so soft that I could leave any dents in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish now I had asked if there were any burned trees. I have never been down that highway, and it's not near Dayton, Texas. Such heat should have left a substantial area of damage other than just a car and paving, unless it was in an open area, such as a pasture.

      Delete
  3. YouTube search "UFOs, Big Rigs, and BBQ" by Mojo Nixon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. He died this year.

      Delete
    2. Whoa! I hated his politics, liked several of his songs.

      Delete
  4. IIRC, the incident happened on TX Hwy 321 between Cleveland and Dayton. I grew up outside of Cleveland, not far from 321, and I graduated from high school in 1980. I was already in the Air Force, but I graduated from my tech school at Lackland AFB in December as was home on leave at the time. Our church was in Tarkington Prairie, on Hwy 321 between Cleveland and Dayton. We owned property in Dayton at that time as well. My dad's parents, grandparents, and many siblings, nephews, and nieces lived in Highlands, Channelview, and Baytown, so the primary route we drove to see them--and we visited them frequently--was Hwy 321. So our family spent a LOT of time on that highway, and we had dozens of friends who lived in the little towns and unincorporated areas, such as Tarkington Prairie, Simmons Bottom, Macedonia, and Kenefick. None of them ever mentioned anything like that. Nobody my family encountered along that route at gas stations and convenience stores ever mentioned it. I never heard or saw anything about it.

    Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did, it was covered up extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "as was home" should be "and was home." Can't type this early in the morning.

      Delete
    2. I think it was covered up. Personally, I think NASA was dabbling with some type of experimental propulsion in the Trinity River Basin, and had problems.

      Delete