In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, July 12, 2024

Early in the Morning

My dog had an urgent nature call, woke the appropriate people (wife and I) and was let out to take care of his business. It's a rare occurrence, and I really appreciate he's not lazy and just finds somewhere in the house. Unfortunately, the thought of immediately going back to sleep was fleeting. So, some coffee, and time on the porch was necessary. 

We had a heavy thunderstorm yesterday afternoon. It was one of those that has more lightning than necessary, heavy rain, and parked over our area. It left light fog, and a thin canopy of clouds that remained after sunset. I'll call it a harbinger of today, since the radar is already showing thunderstorms building toward the Gulf. From what the weather folks reported, it's the remainder of a front that stalled offshore, will migrate north, and eventually fade away over the next two days. 

It's humid outside. There isn't a breath of air stirring, and the heavy dew coating everything is dripping from the roof. The clouds are thin, with lightning dancing in the tops of the thunderstorms to the south. An occasional low rumble is heard, which interrupts a mockingbird singing in the oak tree in the front yard. It's a pleasant song filled with the calls of different birds I know, birds that may exist, but I've never heard, and strikingly accurate mimics of the frogs that sing after it rains. The bird is a virtuoso, full of energy, and the song will probably not end until morning light. From what I know, it's a young bird, and probably this year's hatchling. The parents were busy in the Spring gathering for their nest and I was glad they didn't choose a site for the nest where they could dive-bomb me when I was too close.

I had a few plans for today. I have my sister-in-law's generator to look at. It probably has a dirty carburetor, or worse. I won't know until I fiddle with it, but it's appearing that project, and my line trimming plan for what the lawnmower missed may be placed on the back-burner. I'll be awake for a few hours, and drowsiness will overcome me. That will require a nap, and if it isn't interrupted by a storm like yesterday, I might reconsider my projects afterward. Until then, fixing breakfast, at least one more cup of coffee, and some time on the porch mentally solving the problems of the world is necessary. 

4 comments:

  1. good luck with the world problems...drain and replace the gas in the genny. today's gas soaks up water from the air in days. a month is too long these days, at least with the gas we get here, and thats the "non-ethanol" pump. i have some in a tank that i forgot to rotate from 5 years ago, treated w/ pri-g, that still runs things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew looked at it the other day. He said his son drained the gas, and the carburetor was drained. I don't know, but I don't think he cleaned the jets, or sprayed with cleaner. I've heard the marine fuel stabilizers are much better than most. I'll try, since the Stay-bil I used for my generator didn't stop the gas from smelling like varnish after a few months.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's hard with temperatures in the nineties, and humidity in the seventies. Heat cramps are just about guaranteed after a too much time in the heat.

      Delete