In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, July 8, 2024

Beryl Was Closer Than I Like

 After coming ashore, and the rain bands starting arriving, Beryl was a strong tropical storm in my neck of the woods. The wind reached at least 40 mph, with gusts to 60. Torrential rain would fall, we'd get a short respite, and it would come again. The heavy rain finally stopped around 2:00 pm, but the wind was still blowing around 30 with gusts up to 50. Over the next few hours, wind gradually lowered, the rain left and the sky started clearing. 

We lost power twice. The first time lasted about an hour. After it went out again, it stayed off to around 6:45 pm. It's now on, the house is cooling, and if you didn't notice the downed trees, broken branches, and leaf debris on the roads, you wouldn't know a storm had passed. 

Hopefully this is the last we'll see of this type of weather this season. One time is one too many, and should last a lifetime. Houston, and to the southwest, received the brunt of the storm. Millions have no electricity, and tomorrow is supposed to hot, with high humidity.

2 comments:

  1. As usual, the dome that keeps Seguin dry was in place.
    We didn't get rain or even any wind out of it.

    And we were hoping for something different here.

    Around 2PM I was watching the radar showing the thing curving around and heading towards us from the NE, and hitting us about 3:30. I went to get a battery for the Silverado and a BK baconator and by the time I got back, there was nothing on the radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it first came ashore, I didn't think it would be much, and how those in the San Antonio area were missing out on some needed rain. I was wrong. I'd forgotten how intense some of the rain bands can be, and after they all passed, glad the storm moved faster than Harvey.

      Delete