In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Best Solution

The Manafort jury, and the judge, were threatened. I won't link any articles. They're out there with any political flavor you choose.

None of the articles elaborated on the threats, which I think is the right thing to do. Never give a terrorist the satisfaction of knowing their effort might work. Terrorist? Yes. People that threaten juries are terrorists, that need severe punishment.

The best solution for such things is the anonymity of the jury, the ability of the judge to keep their identities from public records, and harsh punishment for attempting to destroy the life of someone that is performing a civic duty most avoid.

I've served on a criminal jury. From my perspective, the defendant was guilty. Others disagreed. Since I was foreman, I told the judge we'd never agree, so it was mistrial. I didn't relish the task, realized the enormity of our decision, and avoided the family of the defendant, when I left.( Being on a jury was enough of a inconvenience in my life. Possibly being confronted by the family, if I'd met with them, and given my opinion, would have made the experience even more unpleasant).

Regardless of the verdict, both parties have further legal avenues, and the jury that performed their civic duty needs the peace of knowing it's all over; and they can go home in peace. For those that threatened the judge, and jury, they need to be found. If convicted, they should spend a long, long time away from the society they endangered.

1 comment:

  1. I am shocked everyday to see what the liberals do to further their cause. Jury tampering? Man, that's like a serious felony with prison time attached. The "jury by peers" is one of the most fundamental rights in the US Constitution. Without due process, we are truly screwed, and I fear it's only a matter of time. I have sat through a serious trial once. It would be a serious responsibility for the jury. You did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete