In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, December 26, 2020

Bad Dream

 I dreamt I went back to work to help out. Everything was screwed up. There were too many projects for the staff on hand, so they were all behind schedule, mistakes were adding up, expensive equipment was staged in an area soon to be inundated by an approaching weather event, my truck was starting to knock, and the only thing racing through my mind was how to graciously quit on the spot and go home. The last thing before I woke was a truck and trailer picking up material had brake failure. The truck slipped backward into the loading equipment, scraped a building, and the owner of the warehouse was demanding the truck be immediately unloaded because the weight of the material was well beyond the legal limit.

I know. It was all a dream. I think I'll go fix a cup of hot tea and go see how the weather is doing. 

14 comments:

  1. I get my own version of those dreams too Jess. I wonder if all retirees go through this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but they are a reminder of why I retired.

      Delete
  2. i thought i was the only one. in mine i'm back in the army and we're deploying but i forgot all my "sh&t" and rush to get my gear only to realize i got out six months ago. been out ten years now and still have that dream every so often. its usually by a river, which must have some meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have dreams about my former employment too...usually about spinning my wheels getting nowhere, and yelling and no one listening...it's been 7 years for me. It's nice to wake up to reality, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't dream about a day at work where everything is accomplished on a day with perfect weather.

      Delete
  4. I'm not too far out from retirement, but 'pushin' pencils' isn't nearly as tough on the knees and back as all that (depending upon the chair). I still wake up occasionally from a feverish nighttime fugue where I imagine I forgot to carry the one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent many days in front of a computer, checking spreadsheets, and writing business letters. I think the stress was worse.

      Delete
  5. I dream of welding robots in my bedroom and programming the clock radio...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two tasks that can lead to disaster if not complete without faults.

      Delete
  6. Ha! I was dreaming about a former job this week, too. At one point I even said (in the dream), "But I don't work for you anymore . . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a plus. At least you had the satisfaction of telling them you were free from the responsibility.

      Delete
  7. That's almost as good as being able to say "I quit!"

    ReplyDelete