In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, August 25, 2017

What if It's All Hype?

Hurricane Harvey is within minutes of having the eye wall coming ashore. While the media is broadcasting a category 4 storm, the surface winds are not showing such extreme wind conditions. Of course, some station are not broadcasting, which means they were either destroyed by the winds, or were turned off to cover the asses of those that were a little to extreme with their hype.

Harvey hasn't followed any of the narrative at this point. The computer models, which are many, can't come up with a definitive path, and the media is lapping up the gravy; along with the retailers that made a boat-load of money selling to the panicked citizens buying supplies that will be thrown away in a year.

Time will tell how this works out, but I have the feeling only a few will actually know what the data actually contained.

The forecasters were spot on. The forecast rain was as tremendous as anticipated, and a historical event will be remembered by anyone affected.

6 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. They are definitely trying to keep the narrative they have been hyping constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through this with Rita, and Ike. While many believed the winds were well over 100, actual readings were in the 80 to 100 mph sustained winds range, within a few miles of the center.

      I don't trust NOAA, just as much as I don't trust NASA. They're controlled by bureaucrats, and they don't like being proved as inconsequential.

      Delete
  2. Blogger Ruth H is from Rockport. Looks like it got hit head on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A weather station on the coast in the direct path recorded sustained winds of 75 mph with gusts to 105. That's nothing to spit at, but far from the estimated category 4 winds reported by an air force plane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't trust the 'experts'. I get my hurricane news directly from randomly played clips on my Algore soundboard. Better track record than NASA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Algore soundboard? Do they sell those at Walmart? I sure could use one.

      Delete