In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, March 10, 2022

More Surgery

Yesterday, I had Moh's surgery on my left cheek. (No. On my face). About a month ago, my dermatologist had taken a biopsy on a really small spot on my face. The result was almost all squamous cell cancer was removed by the biopsy, but some remained, and a dermatologist that specializes in Moh's surgery was needed. The surgeon, who I can only describe as one of the best, performed the same procedure five years ago on a basil cell spot on the top of my head. Like the first one, only a local anesthetic was applied, and I was awake during the entire procedure.

The procedure, for those that don't know, involves the surgeon removing some of the tissue, taking about an hour to examine the cells, and removing more if necessary. When all excised is shown clear, the wound is closed and stitched. It's simple in some ways, but in others, the tissue removed may require the expertise of a surgeon that understands how wounds heal, and how they can leave unsightly scars. 

The surgery went well, my wife took photos for my perusal, and I was a little surprised at what the photos revealed. Due to the size of the wound, the doctor had to extend the incision, remove some tissue, and place many stitches to leave a wound that wouldn't have an unsightly pucker. This means I will have a scar from the just below my eye to my jaw. It will look like I was in a knife fight, or a really bad accident. 

Hopefully this will end the surgeries. I still have some pre-cancers, which can be treated with Florouracil. It's not pleasant to use, since the medication has a harsh chemotherapy medication that destroys the cancer cells and leaves what looks like severe rashes until the areas heal. That, and it burns like the dickens during the last two weeks of treatment.

So, protect from the ionizing radiation from the sun, warn family members of the foolishness of not protecting from the sun, and realize a sunburn when very young can lead to things much worse than not having a good tan.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles.
    Hopefully, this will wrap it up for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope that is the end of it too, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had one of those last Oct. for a melanoma - took a melon-ball size chunk out of my calf-yeah, I was walking funny for a while.
    No recurrence at last checkup; hope yours is likewise.

    CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all went well and will be well. Prayers with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all. One of my doctors once said all the damage was done when I was very young and received a severe sunburn. At that time, I don't think people thought much of how such things have a lasting effect. Sunscreens weren't developed, and most people with any sense stayed out of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yeah my mom put baby oil on my shoulders when we went to the lake. i got blistered every time. had a mohs on my face a few back. mine was deep, they had to rearrange my face to cover the hole. now that side looks newer than the other, lol. take care n good luck with your's.

      Delete
  6. Glad you're on top of it.
    You and "Scarface Al" have something in common now.
    Make as much of that as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the scar will be minimal, although long. Somebody looking closely will see it, but at my age, I can make up any story I want on how it came there.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear it's a positive outcome. To your point, we always got sunburned in our youth. Solarcaine was a household name. Light Irish skin doesn't really tan. I go at least once a year and have only had one incidence of melanoma, only in the epidermis luckly, removed from the back of my neck. No other issues so far. Stay well Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Flourouracil on the numerous pre-cancers I have. It's only a little at a time, since it basically burns away the cancer cells, and gives the good cells a severe thrashing.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. That's what I said when my wife showed me a photo. It's going to leave a long scar, and regardless of how good the suturing was performed, the scar will still be there.

      Delete