In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, May 9, 2024

And The Trees Will Fall

We're blessed (sometimes cursed) with Live Oak trees. One of the largest in Texas is in Columbus and is an amazing tree to behold. The branches, like most old trees of the species, droop over the decades and eventually touch the ground. The canopy of large trees can stretch to dozens of feet, which determines the root structure. The size of the branches alone dwarfs the trunks of many trees. 

Some engineers build roads with these types of trees adjacent to the paving. Over time, the roots either destroy the paving, or the tree root structure (which is shallow) doesn't support the tree. This leads to trees falling over, leaving huge root bundles exposed, and in some situations, leads to the slow death of the trees. 

After last year's drought, and the current abundance of rain, some trees are falling unexpectedly across roads. Luckily, nobody was injured, but the threat will remain. Some things are learned the hard way, and this is one, but considering my past experience with engineers, some are so full of their "knowledge" they have no idea how clueless they really are. 

2 comments:

  1. Engineers frequently design and create things they don't actually have to use. Just like architects who design buildings they never have to live or work in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised in a neighborhood with live oak trees near the curb. Over time, they grew to the point the roots destroyed my parent's driveway. My mother had it replaced, and when I sold the house, it had deteriorated to the point of needing replacing again. The street is a disaster, and the city is a cesspool of incompetence, with a bureaucratic stench that is nauseating. I'm glad I moved away decades ago.

      Delete