In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, May 27, 2024

Remembering

 Years ago, I had a conversation with a friend that was upsetting. He told of his time in Vietnam, the relief of making it through his year in combat, and his return. When he arrived in the states, the soldiers were ushered through an area outside the terminal to catch a bus. Outside, the protesters were spitting on any soldier they found, and voicing their dislike of the war in Vietnam. 

What a homecoming. Spending a year fighting for his country, having only one big thought on his mind, and being treated like a criminal at his return. His politics weren't discussed when he was inducted. A letter from Uncle Sam demanded his appearance for training, and after watching the horrors of war for a year, many of his peers, who didn't have a clue, were insulting him for his duty. 

He had a brother-in-law that didn't come back. In a tank unit, he burned to death while doing his duty. My friend showed me a photo of him in high school. He had that fresh cut look, a beaming smile, and the appearance of youth. The next photo my friend shared was of his brother-in-law in Vietnam. The youth was mostly missing, there was no smile, and his eyes were focused on something far away.

You can't forget those that never came back, or were killed in training. They're gone, but somebody lost someone they loved more than life, and their heartache will follow them to their own grave. Today is for their memory, and for those they left behind.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for remembering. And yes, even today many have the 'thousand yard stare'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The draft ended right before my 18th birthday, so my 1H classification determined I wasn't to be drafted. I carried my draft card until it finally just became a unreadable piece of paper in my wallet.

      Those were strange times. Looking back, they sure changed the nation, and many of the changes were far from good.

      Delete
  2. They did so much, many times with great honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did. Memorial day should be a time of great reflection, quiet ruminations, and the time to really think on how to avoid becoming involved in an event that leads to the deaths of young folks.

      Delete