In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Computers and Networks

I have a computer, and network, with a sense of humor. Once, or twice, a year they conspire to make my morning a little more tedious.

It's always the same: I'll arrive at the office, my computer won't connect to the network, so I have to go check the file server, which usually has some little B.S. Windows task that is completed, which SHUT THE ENTIRE DAMN NETWORK DOWN BECAUSE WINDOWS IS TOO DAMN STUPID TO DO MORE THAN ONE THING AT A TIME. I DON'T CARE THAT THERE ARE UNUSED ICONS OR THAT IMPORTANT UPDATES ARE READY TO BE INSTALLED. I'M TRYING TO LOG IN AND CHECK ON THAT SPREADSHEET I WAS WORKING ON YESTERDAY EVENING!!!!!!!!

Anyway, my computer usually forgets it's I.P. address and other important information, so I have to manually reload that information, reboot the file server, wait for it to completely load and then reboot my computer. With fingers crossed, I wait to see if I can connect. Sometimes it doesn't, so I have to repeat the task and take a Xanax (No, I'm just embellishing my post. I don't take Xanax, but probably could use it on some days.)

What it all boils down to is that Windows wants me to upgrade to version 7, or 8. This means I will take my computer to a shop, they'll screw everything up and I'll have to unsort the entire mess over a few weeks of cussing and the destroying of small things in my office. I will get a new computer because all earlier versions ruin perfectly good computers. About the time I get everything "just right", Windows will want to upgrade, which will cause the file server to glitch, which will cause me to have a morning just like this morning.

I really do need some Xanax. My browser wants to upgrade.

5 comments:

  1. You're using VISTA aren't you?
    Because XP doesn't do that crap.

    The way I understand is that Win7 is an unf*cked version of VISTA, so you may as well do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have XP Pro with all the service packs. This, from what I understand, is like a bastard version of Vista.

    Every once in a while, the file server will have some process that is prompted and requires a human decision, such as Windows helping remove "unsused icons". If it happens when nobody is at the office, my computer can't log on to the server. The network address isn't recognized, so my computer is treated as an unauthorized user.

    Windows is supposed to automatically acquire a network address. For some reason, my computer, and another computer in the office, won't do this. I have to manually re-enter the network addresses.

    The first time this happened, I was at a loss, until I remembered I had saved the network settings for my computer. After I entered the settings, it only took some trial and error to determine an address for the other computer.

    If I had to point a finger at what I feel is the real problem, I'd say it was the printer software for one of the printers. It's a resource hog and does what it wants, when it wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to have the time, and a willing boss, to set up a Linux server. I don't think it will ever happen, so we'll plod along with the quirks of Windows.

    ReplyDelete